As Fresh01 turns 13 we’re celebrating all the things that mark our entry into early adulthood.
1. Let’s deal with that tricky unlucky thing up front – the technical term for a fear of the number 13 is triskaidekaphobia. Along with Friday 13th being considered a less than fortuitous day, many hospitals, hotels and tall buildings often don’t feature a thirteenth floor.
2. Similarly, many sports skip number 13 when dishing out player numbers. Triathlons and, until recently, Formula One ditch the numerical black sheep too. Thankfully it’s not a problem for our maritime sports client, Alan Priddy and his Accomplish More team, who are preparing to attempt the fastest-ever circumnavigation of the globe by boat later this year. Just like us, they firmly believe in making your own luck.
3. Instead, we’ll partner with the Italians who consider 13 to be a lucky number. Buono!
4. The original US flag had 13 stars and stripes, representing the 13 colonies that formed the US. As more states were added, it was decided to increase the stars but return the stripes to 13.
5. We’re rather fond of our thirteenth client, esuasive, who design and build business applications for a wide range of clients including Capita, Virgin Atlantic, B&Q and TK Maxx.
6. We’re now enjoying our thirteenth year of working with leading prepaid international calling card provider, Lycatel, and in April our above and below the line creative work for its Lycamobile brand appeared in Metro and across London’s public transport.
7. What would 13 be without a Bar Mitzvah, my boy? We know who we’d pick to sing at our coming of age party…
8. Of course, Judas Iscariot was the thirteenth guest at Christ’s last supper. We reckon the mood might have been lifted a bit if they’d had one of our award-winning soundtracks playing in the background.
9. Folklore has it that there are 13 witches in a coven. There’s no witchcraft to what we do at Fresh01, just clever creative, beautifully executed across multiple platforms – see what we do at fresh01.com
10. While most have 12 full moons, every three or four years there are 13, which is believed to have caused medieval monks no end of problems in their time-keeping. Wouldn’t faze our talented account managers, of course.
11. The late, great Alfred Hitchcock’s first film was titled Number 13. We’re not sure if the title put backers off, but funding was pulled and filming abandoned. Actress Clare Greet had invested her own money into the project, and Hitchcock repaid the favour by going on to cast her in six of his blockbusters. We’re rather proud of our own movie moments – check them out at http://freshnew.wpengine.com/#!/work/film
12. More recently, Hollywood director Ron Howard (yes, he of Richie Cunningham fame) retold the story of the aborted 1970 Apollo 13 lunar mission. With an all-star cast including Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton, plus technical assistance from NASA, the celluloid retelling won nine Academy Awards. We’re not unaccustomed to an acceptance speech ourselves, having won awards for our work – read about our ground-breaking e-learning programme for The Lockheed Martin Corporation, which won a Communicator Award, here.
13. Well, we’re ready to blow out the candles now, but if you’re wondering what to get us, we’d really like the opportunity to talk to you about how we can use 13 years’ award-winning multimedia agency experience to help your company – get in touch at fresh01.com/contact